Out of the billions of page views Outbrain powers each month, how can you be sure that you’re reaching the right audience at the right time?
Our Custom Audiences feature makes it a cinch to segment customers by their actions and retarget them with new or existing campaigns. This allows your campaigns to reach a highly engaged audience that is more likely to convert and fulfill your brand’s goals.
Check out our introductory video below:
First, make sure you have the Outbrain pixel implemented. Head to “Pixels” in your dashboard and click “Audiences.”
You can find the code by clicking “View Outbrain Pixel” in the overview page.
After installing, you can choose which kind of segment you wish to set up. Click “Add Segment”, and enter in the segment name, an optional short description, and a cookie window duration between 1 and 180 days. Now you can choose which type of segment works for your campaign goals.
If you are looking to create a pool of users that have visited a certain page or a combination of pages on your website, Audience Retargeting is for you. Depending on the and/or URL conditions, you can create a pool of readers who meet a certain pattern. Begin by setting up the first rule using any of the statements in the drop down menu.
You can also click the +And/+Or buttons to add in another statement.
- Omit HTTP(S) when adding in your URL to prevent tracking issues
- To track all page views across your site, create a segment with “URL Contains”: mysite.com
- To track a specific page, create a segment with “URL Equals”: /product-page
If you would rather retarget those who have viewed an Outbrain campaign in the past, choose Story Sequencing as your Collection Type. In a nutshell, Story Sequencing enables you to serve a sequence of content to the same reader, guiding them through different stages of the reader’s journey or educating them about different aspects of your brand. If you are selling a product, try running editorial content first, then retargeting those who clicked using your product page.
Click on Story Sequencing as your Collection Type and enter in the campaign name(s) you wish to target.
After you have created your segment, hit “Save” to view the overview page. Here, you can track your segment size and review the status of your pixel under “Collecting Status.” The status will change from “Waiting for Pixel” to “Active” once it is firing and collecting new users. Click on “Test” next to the status at any time to test its implementation again. You can also make changes to the segment by clicking the pencil icon next to the segment name. Note that changing the URL will affect the pixel status.
- Now that you’ve gotten a few segments set up, head to your main dashboard to add these segments to existing campaigns. When viewing your campaign settings, you’ll notice a more robust “Targeting” section.
Here, you can include and exclude segments by popping the name of the segment into each respective field. Note that you will only be able to target up to 5 campaigns per segment, but you can exclude up to 20.
Once you’ve saved your changes, you’re all set! Sit back and relax as our system optimizes your campaigns, reaching conversion-friendly audiences and reflecting in higher conversion rates over time.
At any time – prior, during, or after your campaign – you can always reach out to our friendly Support team.
Important to Note
- Make sure to remove the older Outbrain conversion pixel when installing the current pixel to avoid incorrect conversion data.
- The ideal segment size is 100,000 users.
- Target up to 5 campaigns and exclude up to 20 campaigns per segment.
- If you are not receiving enough users, open up the URL to a broader term.
- You can add multiple conditions per segment using the and/or options for the Audience Retargeting Collection Type.
- You can archive a segment by clicking the folder icon in the “Targeted Campaigns” column. Note that you will not be able to regenerate an archived segment.
- Segments cannot be archived when in use.
- You will not be able to create segments from App Store lands.