Introducing Propagator: multi-everything deployment made easy
This post was written by Shlomi Noach.
Outbrain is happy to release its own Propagator as open source. The propagator is a schema & data deployment tool which makes it easy to deploy, review, audit & fix deployments to your database servers.
What does multi-everything mean? It is:
- Multi-server: push your schema & data changes to multiple instances in parallel
- Multi-role: different servers have different schemas
- Multi-environment: recognizes the differences between development, QA, build & production servers
- Multi-technology: supports MySQL, Hive (Cassandra on the TODO list)
- Multi-user: allows users authenticated and audited access
- Multi-planetary: TODO
With dozens of database servers in our company (and these are master database servers), from development machines to testing machines, through build machines to production servers, and with a growing team of over 70 engineers, we faced the growing problem of controlling our database schema evolution. Controlling creation of tables, columns, keys, foreign keys; controlling the creation of data that must be consistent across all servers became an infeasible task. Some changes were lost; some servers forgot along the way, and inconsistencies blocked our development & deployments again and again. Read more >