No one can argue that this past winter was especially brutal. Now that the weather has finally improved, Americans are preparing to hit the roads and the skies this summer season. Get your travel content ready!
Travel is on the rise in 2014
Memorial Day is the official kick-off to the summer travel season. According to AAA’s 2014 Travel Forecast, holiday weekend travel volume is expected to reach a new post-recession high with 36.1 million Americans taking a trip (up 1.5 % from 2013). And in their annual summer travel survey, TripAdvisor found the 89% of US respondents are planning a summer trip this year, a 6% increase compared to those who traveled last year. Nine percent of their respondents cited the Polar Vortex as motivation to take a Memorial Day trip, and another 9% percent cited it as inspiration for a summer trip.
TripAdvisor found that the long winter seems to have impacted Americans travel decisions on budgets and destinations:
* 71% said they plan to travel somewhere new this summer
* 36% plan to spend more on their summer travel than they did last year (14% will use some of their tax return dollars for their getaway)
* 60% will travel domestically
* 45% prefer beach destinations, followed by cities/urban locations (42%), national parks (21%), lakes (17%), and resorts (14%)
Tips for your Travel Content & Campaigns
Outbrain data shows the consumption of travel-related content begins in May and steadily rises up to July, maintaining momentum through August.
An analysis of the top performing headlines in the Outbrain network during last year’s summer travel season shows content on the following topics garnered high pageviews (so be sure to optimize for these popular topics):
* Money saving tips & freebies
* Info on best hotels & restaurants
* Tips on specific city sights and landmarks
* “Can’t miss” attractions such as US beaches, waterparks, etc.
* Lists of best kept secrets or underrated attractions & sites
* Travel tips and mistakes
* List of friendly, snobby, clean, etc, cities
* Interesting facts about a city
Winter-worn travelers are ready to get out this summer. If you develop travel content, you should consider supporting it with paid amplification campaigns soon and keep them running through August.
Sources: AAA.com, Trip Advisor